Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Nevar More"


October 10, 2011.

Intended to be a pun on Edgar Allan Poe's classic poem "The Raven" because the title is spelled backwards, this sketch letter is purely a fictional account of an actual (and awkward) encounter with an attractive and petite young woman in my Shotokan karate class at NIU so many years ago. 

Named for the edge and spirit of adventure cascading down her long, wild jet-black curls rushing down her shoulders, Raven, the lovely protagonist in this drawing, is a composite of the women I knew who possessed and exhibited such qualities, inspiring me once again to put my imagination to work.  So off I went to the steep, isolated steps where no one was around and used my fifteen-minute work break to draw every minute of my experience with the raven-haired beauties who impacted me, in one way or another.  Would have named her Robin because of her crimson red headband, but black suits her...and me...just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment