Monday, October 31, 2011

"Childhood in the Rain"


February 5, 2011.

Tokyo, Wednesday, June 28, 1989.  Age 20.  Taken from my Tokyo notebook (which is considered "lost" because it actually doesn't physically exist, but was retold purely from memory), this sketch story surrounds the colorful, playful images of Walt Disney's vision of childhood and the relentless power and speed on the slik, streamlined Shinkansen ("bullet train" whose look suggests innovation and progress) with my impressions of my quality time with my family on a cold, rainy, and seemingly dreary Wednesday afternoon in the city, the beautiful and bustling capital of Japan.  At the time, I did a dry run with my mom and brother on a Shinkansen underground and above the city center to help us become better acquainted with the rapid transit system and gain a much deeper understanding of life from the locals' point of view.

Dedicated to the memory of my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment