Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Chicago, My Hometown"


November 12, 2010.


Thirty years earlier, the country...or rather, the world...lost a visionary in former Beatle John Lennon when he was senselessly murdered at the hands of a deranged and obsessed fan.  Four years earlier, my second grade homeroom teacher Ms. "H" introduced me to that amazing singer-lyricist and the other Fab Three when she brought a 45 of the Beatles' greatest hits, a compendium of their playfully saucy and driving melodies for her students to enjoy during recess.  Honestly, it wasn't until I became a teenager and adult when I realized just how strong an impact Lennon's lyrics, melodies, political philosophy, and social activism had on the world at large.  Because they left such an impression on me---and because the thirtieth anniversary of Lennon's death was a month away, I felt more inspired to pick up a pen and produce this sketch letter for a man who once dared to Imagine a world void of hatred, poverty, and violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment