Friday, November 18, 2011

"Baldwin, Wright, and Wilde"


May 10, 2011.

Although they had starkly different life experiences and emerged from different socioeconomic backgrounds, regardless of the color of their skin, James Baldwin, Richard Wright, and Oscar Wilde indeed have something in common.  Not only did these once burning literary lights die in France within eight decades of one another, but they also continue to serve as a source of creativity and insight for my work.  Moreover, they, along with Jack Kerouac and Ted Joans ("Who in the world is he?"), greatly influenced this sketch story, an account of my quiet time to writing in my Moleskines...and a light late afternoon snack (with a glass of red wine) at a nice, quaint cafe in Paris' Latin Quarter, just hours after I spent most of my Sunday afternoon at the Chateau in Versailles and scaled the stairs to the first floor of the Eiffel Tower, where I helped myself to a dark chocolate beignet and cafe creme.

No comments:

Post a Comment